I’m sure you already know that toxins are everywhere, from the air we breathe to the lotion we put on our skin. Did you know that even our laptops, cell phones, and televisions may contain a toxin known as TBBPA(Tetrabromobisphenol A), a flame retardant used in circuit boards? According to one study done by the University of Houston, TBBPA causes obesity in Zebrafish.
“The transparency of the zebrafish allowed us to see where the increased amounts of fat cells were. There was an enormous difference between the treated fish and their siblings in the control group,” Bondesson said. “We could see the lipids accumulated in the liver, the heart region, the head and very obviously in the blood vessels. We also could see it subcutaneously along the side of the fish.”
In regards to technology, I have noticed a huge difference in my life after doing a digital detox. A difference in my energy level, ability to concentrate, sleep and even a reduction in unhealthy food cravings! Learn more about implementing a digital detox by enrolling in our Empowered Parent Program.
Here are a few tips to get you started
1. Step away from your device for 4 or more hours a day. Do not carry your phone on your body, rather set it down in another room.
2. Turn your phone on airplane mode while you sleep, by doing so, this will disable the wifi and network signals.
How many of you get overwhelmed when you consider your exposure to environmental toxins? To put it quite simply, you can’t avoid all toxins. They are a part of all our lives, and our bodies do have natural defense systems to protect us from a considerable amount of toxins. However, the number of environmental toxins is rising, and our bodies are having trouble adapting. We must make simple changes to protect ourselves and our families.
With all the information circulating the internet these days, it’s no wonder people give up so fast. I have read countless articles, case studies, and reports about environmental toxins and I, too have felt the overwhelm. I believe that we are capable of creating a minimally toxic environment in our homes by keeping the steps simple, keeping the supplies affordable and therefore maintaining our sanity in the process. Here are some simple steps to take as you start your environmental detox.
- Open the windows. Let that breeze blow through your home. Out with the old and in with the new!
- Get rid of those nasty chemical cleaners. Honestly, this one will also save you a fortune. Commercial cleaning supplies are expensive, and they are full of toxins that are bad for your family and the environment. Switch to a natural window cleaner by mixing together equal parts of distilled water and white vinegar! So simple and affordable.
Glass Spray Bottle
Liquid Castile Soap
Essential oils of Lemon, Thyme, lavender and sweet orange. (or a combination of your favorites)
Ok so here is where you are going to need to use that good ole’ intuition of yours. I never measure out the ingredients so I honestly can’t give you a recipe. What I can tell you is, you got this! You don’t need any stinking recipe. Distilled water should be your main ingredient, next up vinegar, then liquid Castile soap (not too much at all, let’s call it a squirt) and depending on the size of bottle you are using I would suggest five drops of each essential oil for a 16 oz glass spray bottle.
- Swap out those plastic containers for Mason Jars, as most plastic contains chemicals that can leach into your food, especially when heated. Mason Jars work great for storing leftovers and are great to have around. I have even been known to use a mason jar as a water bottle. Food-grade stainless steel and copper are also healthy water bottle options!
- Essential oils! These powerful plant oils can freshen the air and your attitude all at once! Try this blend for a quick midday pick me up: peppermint, eucalyptus, lemon, and sweet orange or cedarwood. There are vast benefits to diffusing essential oils due to their therapeutic qualities.
- Plants, plants, and more plants. Here is an excellent guide to selecting indoor plants.
6. Swap out your beauty products for safer options! They are out there, oh yes they are, and they are delightful! Here at The Functional Medicine Alliance, we love BeautyCounter and also, of course, our amazing Farm Life products. BeautyCounter is a company dedicated to their mission to get safe products into the hands of everyone. They rigorously research their products, 3rd party test like nobody’s business and are activists when it comes to urging Congress to make much-needed changes in the beauty industry. When you think about it, our skin has a surface area of 1.5-2.0 square meters, and everything you put on your skin is absorbed into your bloodstream. Shouldn’t we treat the products we put on our skin with as much caution as what we put in our bodies?
Take these steps little by little, don’t put too much pressure on yourself and know that if you implement one or two steps a week, you are well on your way to making a positive change.
The point here is not to overwhelm yourself.
Keep it simple, keep it affordable and keep it fun!
Endless Love and Gratitude,